Thursday, April 12, 2012

Just Run


For as long as I can remember, running has always played an incredibly significant role in my life.
When I first started playing sports, running was typically used as a punishment for something. Whether that be losing a basketball game that my team should have won or fooling around during soccer practice, my coaches always used running, or more laps, sprints, etc., as a punishment for my teams’ mistakes. I can remember how everyone would moan when coaches would announce we had to do extra running. However, at some point during high school, my outlook on running changed completely.
Running was becoming something that I no longer had a negative aspect of. Throughout high school, in addition to running during practice and the extra running coaches would have the team do as punishment, I began running in the morning before school. It was during this time that my love for running began.
Today, I run basically every day, it’s something that has become as regular as eating breakfast. It’s such a regular thing to do in my routine, that if I don’t get a chance to go running in the morning, the rest of my day just gets thrown off course. I find that I love running for a couple of reasons, first of all, it’s something that is a huge stress reliever for me. When I go on a run, it’s basically like nothing else exists and I just get lost in the rhythm of my footsteps, which is just a great way to get away from the stress. Then, going for a run, no matter how fast, is great exercise. Exercise is one of the more popular reasons for going running, just because it truly is a great workout. The last reason why I enjoy running so much is because of the feeling I have afterwards. “Runner’s high,” as it’s come to be known is a feeling that runners feel after going for a really solid run. After a really solid run and a runner’s high, runners usually feel like they can do anything if they really wanted.
It’s because of these reasons, why I love running so much. I know most think of running as a punishment, but it’s really something to get involved in, the runner's high is definitely a feeling to experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment